This Discussion Briefing, “Addressing Capital’s Effects on Racial Justice,” presents an approach to action across all holdings for investors concerned with racial justice.
- Makes the case for the need to go beyond current investors approaches
- Highlights the importance of centering the work of racial justice leaders
- Provides a framework that focuses on documented disparate outcomes on communities of color
- Presents a path for investor analysis, further discussed in upcoming briefings, based on:
- Establishment of the right questions: what are the negative disparate impacts of economic activity on communities of color, and how is capital implicated?
- Evaluation of materiality: which impacts are most relevant and have the clearest link to investor action?
- Development of the analysis by sector and asset class: how do those disparate impacts show up in different areas of a portfolio?
- Activation of investors by type and by exposure: how can a family office or a pension fund take action, and what actions are most conducive to change in each asset class?